About Me

My photo
I am currently in my last semester at TC and will graduate in Dec. with an M.A. in Intellectual Disability/Autism. After graduating I hope to become a teacher for students with multiple disabilities. EXPECTATIONS FOR HBSE 4005: As part of my Computer course I was required to set up a blog. I hope that through this course I can better know how to use technology in my classroom, both related to specifically to special education, but also computer applications in general.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Ergonomics


After critically looking at my workstation with the aid of Cornell University Ergonomics Web, I was able to determine that some adjustments were needed. I have a laptop which I usually keep on my desk in my room. Sometimes it is difficult for me to get work done in my room so I move my laptop to the dining room table for more space. The reason I need more space is usually because I spread out my papers all over the place. The use of a document holder could easily fix this problem and allow me to focus only on one area when typing on the computer. Also, the way I sit at my computer should change to increase better posture and less back and neck pains. Having both feet on the floor(which I normally do not) and my back against the back of the chair can assist in this. I learned something interesting in terms of the positioning of my hands and arms while typing to minimize wrist pain. Having the keyboard tilt downwards from you allows for the wrists to be in a neutral position. By positioning the keyboard so that forearms are parallel to thighs when feet are on the floor, helps maintain blood flow to hands and arms and decreases muscle strain and tension.






No comments: